Wednesday, September 3, 2008

So, we are back!!! After a 12 hour drive (that should have only taken 6) on Saturday night, we are finally back. Joe has even gotten to stay up here for at least this week. My Mom called yesterday and asked if Bella could come stay with her for a couple of days. Bella and my Mom have a special bong that I am so thankful for. To explain the 12 hour drive I will give th super condensed version. First we left Sat. at around 8 wih my van strapped on the trailer that Joe's truck was pulling. The traffic out was really bad because of everyone trying to evacuate from New Orleans. Almost evry license plate was La. We had to go 45mph in a 70 mph zone. Drove Joe nuts. About 30 minutes south of Montgomery we noticed one of the tires on the trailer was smoking. So, we pulled into a gas station that we joked looked like spring reak. The little gas station was packed with cars that were filled with people's belongings. I felt bad to see the cars and trucks packed with the possesions that they had deemed most valuable. I had been nervous watching all week to see where Gustave was going to head, but I had a home to run to not one to run from. I am truly thankful and felt a new appreciation when we finally reached our house. I kinda got off track. We pulled my van off the trailer at the packed gas station only to find a huge bubble on one of the tires, not the one smoking. We decided just to keep on and I would follow joe in my Van. Just 30 mmin. later I was on my cell phone talking to Kelli and saw something that i thought was a deer or something running along side my van then shoot off into the woods and I realized it was a tires. We pulled off to a rest stop that was packed with people. it looked like a tailgating party with people sitting in truck beds and on the ground. We saw people with blankets and sleeping bags on the side walk. i guess people didn't know where to go or if they had gone far enough away from the hurricane. We discovered the runaway tire was from the trailer, but we decided to keep going because the trailer was driving okay and we didn't want to use the spare because the runaway tire was not the one with the bubble. The final setback was just south of Atlanta where the bubble tire finally blew. Long story short (too late) it was a very long and eventful ride home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. i just laughed so hard when i read about the "deer" running alongside your car.

it made me think of the time i got rear ended by a guy with no insurance, who hit me going about 60(i was stopped at a red light). he messed up my car so badly that the whole back end was about 2 feet higher than it should have been. i called my friend and was crying because "i got hit, and my car is really messed up, and now there is a motorcycle tailgating me so close i can't even see him". when i got home i realized it wasn't a motorcycle, but that my muffler was so damaged that noise was coming from my own car. it was so funny. so that is my long story about a funny car experience.

KELLI MC said...

Bella and mom have a special bong???????hmmmmmmmm I dont think Gram would approve

Erin said...

Kelli, Lol, bonD, not bong. But, thanks for the mental picture!

sweetb said...

I couldn't even finish reading it after reading about Bella & Mom's bong, I am cracking up. Spellcheck?

Ron Melancon said...

While I am grateful that you and your family are O.K. and got home safely the condition of the trailer concernes me. Please go to www.dangeroustrailers.org While I am not trying to pick on you.. people just don't know the damage you can do with one of these trailers. From 2002 to 2006 and 2006 numbers are not all in.. you have 218,000 things that were damaged... cars, trailers,ect. 92,000 people who were injured and 2,150 people have been killed by loose or people loosing control of their trailers.

Erin said...

Well, i feel like right I need to reply to to the post that a person named Ron left. I do not know him, but after looking at his blog I appreciate that he is passionate about trailer safety. Maybe i should have said but I figured most people that read my blog know Joe and I and know our background. Joe hauls heavy equipment using various size trailers and we are cautious people. That night we didn't have a lot of choices being that it was in the middle of the night, fleeing a hurricane with our dogs and five year old. By taking the car off the trailer and me following closely behind him watching the trailer in the slow lane, we did the best we could do.