Monday, September 8, 2008

Never Boring

Of course life is never boring. I don't think I would want it to be boring, but it can be stressful!! So, as you may know, Joe took a new job at the beginning of July. It required that her work in Gulf Shores Alabama for 4-6 months on a project. We knew it would be hard, but we thought for sure we could do it. We could just live like Gypsys for awhile. A little unconventional, but that's not new to us. we started out by Joe going down by himself the first week and Bella and I came down the second. Joe's boss had this idea that he wanted everyone on the job to stay in one house. It was horrible. The house he rented wasn't that big and the owner lived there. Everyone besides the boss was miserable. Bella and I came back after that week and stayed up here for 3 weeks. After the company rented a house just for Joe and a coworker Bella and I went back down for 3 weeks. If I put everything that has happened into this post it would be a novel, but basically the Boss was crazy. This is just my opinion, but I think I am right! One day he would be thrilled with Joe, the next he would say things like "disgustingly disapppointed". Joe was working 7 days a week and he works harder than anyone I have ever met. He has a strong sense of integrity and this drives him. So, to hear this man say things like this to Joe, I just wanted to claw his eyes out! Then he crossed a line. I think he wants his employees to be single and not have families. Like I said there is just too much to post, but he started telling Joe he wanted Joe to tell one of the employees he couldn't go home every other weekend like he was doing to see his wife and two kids. Then he started telling Joe that Bella and I were a BURDEN and too needy. I am condensing because this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as insane behavior. Sunday he called Joe and told him that he would have to choose between his job or his family. REALLY!?!?!?!? Joe had been home for the weekend. WE dropped Bella off at my sister's house (thankyou KElli, Mom and Brenna) and we headed down to Gulf Shores to get his tools and his belongings from the house. We gatherd Joe tools and packed up his stuff. The next morning he made the call and told his boss he has made his choice and that it was never really a choice, his family would always come first. I know it seems like I am making a huge deal out of this. People change jobs all the time, I know. But, to us this is HUGE . This job was more money than we had expected to be making at this point in our life. It was a dream come true, we thought. A chance at a stable paycheck, a chance for Joe to get his hip replaced. It was just a chance at a lot and we were so excited. To us this is like turning down a lottery win. The drive down was hard, but also wonderful because I got to spend so much time talking to Joe. We decided that this must be some kind of a test from God or something. I mean really, someone saying "Your family or a job" Who says this? But, we decided that it felt more like conformation than a test. confirmation of how much our family means to us and how much we need eachother and NOTHING is worth us being apart. It's one thing to have to work out of town and see your family everyother weekend or have us come down there. But, it far different to have someone say you can't go home and they can't come see you for the next 6 months. And what happens after that a different job in a different city with the same crazy boss. It really seems stupid with the economy the way it is to walk away from a paying job. We laughed that this is either the smartest thing we have done or the dumbest. I really think it is the smartest for our family. Money wise, I am not sure. I am really nervous about money. Nervous, but not scared. I am thinking I might have to get a part time job. Hopefully I can still go to the farm/zoo as it means so much to me to be with the animals as well as the people there. I have a ton to figure out, insurance, cell phones, etc. But, I have my Joe back!

6 comments:

sweetb said...

I know it is hard but you made the right choice. "Joe's Boss" was never going to be happy no matter what you did. It is his character flaw not yours. Everything will be fine. You have done it before. That job was hard and working for yourself is hard too. Only you will all be together and no one will be undermining you.

Katherine said...

I'm really proud of you both!You guys chose to take the harder road in favor of your family and walked away from money.

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

WOW..what a story. Hang in there. You guys will be great because you made the right choice! Not always the easiest but in the long run the very best! God is your true provider, he will NOT let you down!!!!
Miss you guys!

Lovingmyamazinglife said...

We would have done the same thing,sometimes you have to step out in faith and see that God will see you through this transition.

Unknown said...

You wonder how people really live with themselves when they do and say things like that?! I mean who would give up their family for a job...I mean really who would do that? Usually thats why people have jobs is to support their families and yet he misses the point that you have better workers when your workers are happy! I had a similar experience with a crazy boss (not nearly this intense) but, I walked away and it was the best thing I ever did...job ways that is. I ended up finding a new job. It was one of the best jobs I've ever had and my husband has now worked for the same company for 8 years. We are never sure how prayers are answered but, we will keep you in our prayers that Joe finds a new job soon! It takes faith in finding something better to walk away and your family will prosper in the end!

Natalie said...

Matthew 6:25-34 is the 'consider the lilies' scripture that brings me peace when I am worrying about money issues.
I know you already know it, cuz you have great faith, but God is watching and if you make choices like this one, He will bless you.
I'm proud of you guys and I will keep praying for you.
Love you so much!