Thursday, April 23, 2009

Still frustrated

I went to the Dr. yesterday and what an ordeal that was!?! My awesome friend Tiffany drove me. Since it is about an hour from our house and Joe had to work, Joe wanted to make sure I had someone with me. I'm so thankful she went. She was so helpful, but also offered comedic relief. We got there at 6:45 a.m. I met with the Dr. and he said he thought everything made him think it was a T.I.A. or a mini stroke. He said it didn'[t have anything to do with my chiari. He also said he wanted me to meet with another neurologist that could help me more. He left the room to set up the appointment and came back in to tell me that the Dr. was in the building and he was going to get him so he could meet with me now. My Mom had arrived by this time and we were both thrilled. I was super bummed at the idea of having to wait more weeks to see another Dr. for answers. So, we met with the others Dr. and I was so relieved to have my Mom. I know I am a Mom myself and a grown adult, but sometimes I just want my Mom. AND she was a big help filling in the timeline of last week's hospital visit. He also said everything would lead him to believe it was a T.I.A. as well. But, since I had three "episodes" in a two hour period, that would mean I would have had three blood clots and that seems unlikley, but everything points at a T.I.A. but he wantd to do more tests to rule it out. Does that make sense?He said it could also be this other thing, but I forgot the name. It was a big word that started with an H that is a type of migraine that was caused by something weakening the left side of my brain at that time. He said whatever it was at that time, not enough blood was getting to my brain. he sent me down to the lab to get blood work done. When I was taken back the lady started to take blood out of my right arm and discovered a mass. She said it looked like a blood clot and she wasn't going to take blood from that arm and I had to go back up and see my Dr. She took blood from the other arm. So, we went back up to my Dr. to have him send me down to radiology for an ultrasound of my arm to make sure it wasn't a clot. The mass had gone down a lot by the time I got back to get the ultrasound. She said I could go because i had blood flow. We finally left the hospital at 2:30. So 8 hours at the hospital and I still feel like i am where I started. But, all the Dr.'s were excellent and really listened and seemed dedicated to helping me figure this out and prevent another "episode" So, the next step is a cardiology appointment May 5th. So we shall see.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Ah, that's so weird! Do things like that run in families, cuz I know your cousin had a stroke. I hope they know how to fix it. That's so scary. Thanks Tiffany for taking care of her!

Cristin said...

Praying for you

Lovingmyamazinglife said...

Call your Dr back and ask what that "big H word is" so you can research it,its best to have all the puzzle pieces. I hate medical stuff.We take Lane in monday for a 2 hour cardioliogy workup,shes having fast heart runs now.So I am scared to death,and can't wait to find out if shes got tachycardia also,or if its just a fluke(praying for fluke).Hang in their.

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Hang in there Erin...I'm praying for you and your whole family... you guys get well and stay that way!!!!!
Love ya