Monday, January 19, 2009

A long time ago I worked at UPS loading trucks. It was a really really hard job. I went to work at 3am and got off at 9am and it was always cold. I remember I started on my birthday and there was a huge storm when I drove in. As I was getting led to my hub I heard guys making bets on how long I would last. Red Flag should have gone up then. I lasted three months. What did me in was we had a conveyer belt that the packages came down on and if it got clogged we would have to stop the belt and I would climb up the belt and unclog it. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I fell or tripped or someone turned on the belt. Either way I remember thinking if I got hurt and was laying on the floor, I'm not sure anyone would help me. I was sure they would just step over me. I quit after that. Everyone was just rude and it was a hard place to work.
So fast forward to this past Saturday night. It started snowing here in dahlonega right after I went into work. I know to people outside of Georgia, it's not a big deal, but it was exciting stuff at work. Dahlonega is a mountain town and the roads are windy and steep. The guy that works the sound's wife got in an accident on her way home because the roads were icy. I started to get a little nervous leaving work. I tried to call Hoe thinking he could come get me in his truck, but he didn't answer. As i walked out the door the floor manager made me take her number in case I needed help and made me promise to call her as soon as I got home and then the owner suggested I come sleep at her house. Such little things, but it's nice to know that people care. The roads were slick and policemen were standing on the roads slowing people down. I made it all the way to our road with no problems. But, the street leading to our drive is VERY steep and straight up. It was solid white. I made it half way up before I started sliding sideways. I tried to back down, but I started sliding sideways the other way and couldn't see behind me. I sat there for a couple of minutes not knowing what to do and calling Joe over and over. He never answered. I finally decided to just put the emergency brake and hazard lights on and get out and walk the rest of the way. It's no that far, but it was cold and creepy. and of corse, I scared myself and ended up running the last steps home. I burst through the door to find Joe asleep on the couch. He jumped up and looked at me half frozen. I said I got the car stuck and he asked how. I just opened the door and pointed. He stepped in the doorway and said "hey it's snowing" REALLY! In Joe's defense he had worked hard all day and he walked down and got my car and checked on my goats.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm glad you are okay! That hill would scare me too. Good friends make jobs bareable. wink...wink

Erin said...

awwww, I'm winking back!

Cristin said...

Doesn't it just warm your heart knowing that there are good people in this world.

KELLI MC said...

snow, no pics?

Unknown said...

My husband worked at UPS for almost 2 years part time and worked his full time job...he hated it too! When ever I seem to really need my husband to answer his cell phone...he never does. I always think to myself that if there ever were a real emergency I'm gonna have to find someone else to call because my husband never answers when it really matters! LOL Glad you are safe!

sweetb said...

Poor Hoe and just being asleep. It is nice to have people looking out for you. Yeah, and where are the snow pictures?

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Definitely need snow pics....
so glad you are safe and isn't it nice to have caring co-workers? Worth a lot I would say!