Sunday, March 8, 2009

Walmart

Okay, so I try not to be contiversal or political on my blog..well anywhere really. I am trying to live stress free, which is a tall order these days. But, simply..my heart can't take it. I internalize stress and I have some heart issues, not big ones, but stress will turn it into big ones. ANYWAY, I just watched "Wal-Mart: The High Cost Of Low Price". Everyone should watch this. I already have disliked Wal-Mart, but I have thought about it as a "nessacary evil". For example: I like to do crafty things and living in this small town, we do not have a craft store. We have a Hallmark type store that tries to have craftt things, but not really. So, I head to the Wal-Mart when i need something. But, if Wal-mart wasn't here, there would probably be a great craft store with a bigger selection and better quality products. But, Wal-Mart is here. So, we don't have independent craft , shoes,or clothes stores. Wal-Mart shuts down the independent retailer and shuts down towns. I understand that their prices are cheap and especially now that means a lot. But, if you do ALL of your shopping with one company and that one company does NOT buy American, all of our money is going over seas. It's a vicious cycle. Think about a small town full of small shops, then Wal-Mart comes in and it offers products at a much cheaper price so everyone goes there. So, the stores start closing because no one is shopping there. So, jobs are lost and now you HAVE to shop at Wal-Mart. If there is just one store in town, where do you work? Wal-Mart. So, you shop and work at Wal-Mart. Kind of sounds like the old "company store" thing. I am sure this is hard to imagine in a big city, but it happens a lot in small towns. next time you drive through a rural area try to find the "down town" area of a small town and then find the Wal-Mart. I could go on and on. I could tell you about the little town that my family is from and how it used to have a vibrant main street full of stores, but now it's mostly empty, but the Wal-Mart has a full parking lot. But, just watch Wal-Mart:the high Cost Of Low Price. I am going to TRY to not shop at Wal-Mart again. I say try because like I said, I live in a small town and we do not have many options here and money is tight. But, I am not supporting a store like this.

5 comments:

Jessi said...

I went about 2 years without shopping at Wal-Mart. But then my husband quit his job and money was tight and I went back. As much as I like the nostalgia of doing my shopping along Main Street, I just can't pass up the Wal-Mart prices. Darn them!

Andrea said...

I didn't know you were so passionate about Wal-Mart!

Katherine said...

You know that I feel the same way!!!! I saw that documentary a couple of months ago, and it horrified me--especially how Walmart moves into a small town even when they're not wanted.

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Amen sista!

Shari said...

I agree. I try my best not to shop there but sometimes it's just impossible not to. I tend to hate it more b/c it's so over crowded! The craft area of ours sucks but we're fortunate to have other craft stores to choose from here (thank goodness!)
I really try my best to not buy anything made in China but that's almost impossible to do at times as well.